In Wales, the overall cost of mental health issues in Wales is an estimated £7.2 billion a year. As part of the Well-being of Future Generations Act, Welsh Government is committed to the creation of a healthier, more prosperous and more resilient Wales. The strategy Prosperity for All sets out a new economic contract for support between businesses and Welsh Government that includes measures around the promotion and improvement of employee mental health and Together for Mental Health is the Welsh Government’s 10-year cross-Government, all-age strategy, to improve mental health and well-being in Wales.
Through these strategies Welsh Government is seeking 6 high level outcomes in relation to mental health and well-being:
- The mental health and wellbeing of the whole population is improved.
- The impact of mental health problems and/or mental illness on individuals of all ages, their families and carers, communities and the economy more widely, is better recognised and reduced.
- Inequalities, stigma and discrimination suffered by people experiencing mental health problems and mental illness are reduced.
- Individuals have a better experience of the support and treatment they receive and have an increased feeling of input and control over related decisions.
- Access to, and the quality of preventative measures, early intervention and treatment services are improved and more people recover as a result.
- The values, attitudes and skills of those treating or supporting individuals of all ages with mental health problems or mental illness are improved.
Together for Mental Health and Well-being 2019 is an opportunity to consider progress of the Welsh Government’s cross portfolio strategic response to mental health and examine options for future innovation and partnership development models .
This conference will allow participants to hear from senior leaders from many of the key individuals, organisations and stakeholders around mental health and well-being in Wales.